From the Pastor - January 2017
Dear Friends
in Christ,
As we turn the page on a new calendar year, I am thinking about the gifts that I am bringing into the new year.
As we turn the page on a new calendar year, I am thinking about the gifts that I am bringing into the new year.
Two
years ago, I began my academic studies in congregational leadership. I have benefited from an interdisciplinary
approach that combined courses at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary and
Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management. As a bonus, I earned Kellogg’s executive education
certificate in nonprofit management.
I
deeply appreciate the gifts of time and resources for learning new lessons to
apply in parish life.
Now
that my coursework is finished, I am working on the final research and
dissertation. To that end, I am leading
a workshop for members of the Church Council on Sat., Jan. 14 as part of my
doctoral research. The goal is to work
with Gallup’s StrengthsFinder assessment and interactive group exercises to
help people identify their “strengths” and imagine ways of using those
strengths for ministry.
It
is my hope that this research focus can be expanded at Trinity and beyond so that more people can explore their
personal strengths as gifts from God for building up the church and blessing
the world.
Indeed,
the beginning of the new year is a good time for all of us to take stock of the
new life that comes through Jesus Christ.
On
Jan. 1, we will celebrate Epiphany, the celebration of Christ’s revelation to all
people. On Jan. 8, we will commemorate
the Baptism of the Lord, including a congregational reaffirmation of
baptism.
The
following prayer speaks of the gifts of grace that God offers us in Jesus
Christ through the church:
“By
word and sign, O God,
you identified Jesus at his baptism,
that we might know
him as your Beloved One,
the vessel of your goodness.
By that same grace, you have united us in
Christ
and called us your people.
How dimly we understand such love!
Deepen our faith. Intensify our zeal.
Unite the separated branches of your church,
that we might bear an undivided witness before the world;
through Jesus Christ,
in whom you are pleased to dwell. Amen.”1
Yours
in Christ,
Rev.
Brian C. Smith
_________________
1 Laurence Hull Stookey. This Day: A Wesleyan Way
of Prayer (Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2004). 118.
Comments
Post a Comment