Prayers for LGBTQ Community After Orlando Massacre


On Sunday morning, June 12, I happened to check my Twitter feed before worship and saw the initial report of an attack on Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.  As the day progressed, it was reported as the deadliest mass shooting in American history: 49 dead plus the assailant, and 53 others wounded.  

This was a hate crime, as well as an act of terrorism.  The shooter targeted the LGBTQ community.  He was armed with weapons he purchased a few days before his attack.  

My spirit is heavy because of this violence that was motivated by religious condemnation of homosexuality.  Even as our denomination currently retains harmful "incompatibility" language, I am grateful that Trinity Church has taken a clear stand against religious condemnation of LGBTQ persons by becoming a "Reconciling" congregation last month.     

In response to this horrific event and in solidarity with those targeted, I would offer the following verses of lamentation from Psalm 31 as a prayer:

Psalm 31:9-10, 14-16
Have mercy on me, Lord, because I'm depressed.
My vision fails because of my grief,
as do my spirit and my body.

10 My life is consumed with sadness;
my years are consumed with groaning.
Strength fails me because of my suffering;
14 But me? I trust you, Lord!

I affirm, “You are my God.”
15 My future is in your hands.
Don’t hand me over to my enemies,
to all who are out to get me!
16 Shine your face on your servant;
save me by your faithful love!

You may be interested in the response of the Reconciling Ministries Network.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Wholeness of Being" Series 2026

"Transofrming Generosity" Series 2025

"Healing Wounds" Series 2026