Tornado Hits My Hometown 2013
The winds of this EF-4 tornado blew at 190 mph. In Washington alone, nearly 1,100 buildings were damaged, about 120 people were injured. At least one person was killed.
My parents are safe and their home was not damaged, but the neighborhood directly south of my home church (Crossroads United Methodist Church) was flattened, as the police video below shows. I have seen devastation from other storms, but seeing such destruction in a community I know and love moved me to tears.
My first impulse was to go and do something. My home church is one of the sites offering food and shelter to neighbors displaced by the storm. I sent words of prayer and support to the pastor of my home church, and then contacted our district superintendent and the Northern Illinois Conference disaster coordinator to see how to best respond.
Dr. Zaki offered words of encouragement, and Rev. Christina Vosteen wisely advised me not to go yet, because it is still a dangerous search-and-rescue situation and as an "outsider" I would be placing additional demands on a community already under great stress.
DONATIONS
Please consider a donation to the Illinois Great Rivers Conference Disaster Fund. To make an immediate donation online follow this link: https://igrc-reg.brtapp.com/Donate-DisasterResponse. Alternatively, you can give with a check payable to Trinity Church with a memo of Illinois Tornado Response.
Keeping your hometown in my prayers! Hope all is well pastor brian!!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that your family is safe. May God be with those friends and families who have lost so much.
ReplyDelete